Waxing is an effective, yet temporary, method of hair removal, that removes the hair at the root. Typically, new hairs do not grow back in the waxed area for up to eight weeks. Almost any area of the body can be waxed, including eyebrows, face, bikini area, legs, arms, back, abdomen, and feet.
Don’t be fooled into thinking that waxing is for women only. Today’s fashion trends have men waxing their bodies for cosmetic reasons, and many athletes such as bodybuilders and swimmers have been waxing for years.
The concept of waxing to remove body hair can be traced all the way back to ancient Egypt where the wives of royalty and the well-to-do looked at hair removal as a way to remain young and beautiful.
Most waxes are comprised of some proportional mixture of paraffin or beeswax, natural oils or fats, and a specially designed resin to help the wax adhere to the skin. Some brands of wax add Vitamin E or other supplements to reduce irritation or redness.
Types of Waxing Techniques
If you think that you might want to try waxing, the first step, whether you are a male or female, is to decide if you want to use the ‘hot’ or ‘cold’ wax techniue.
- Hot Waxing – a thin layer of heated wax is applied to the skin in the direction of the hair growth. The hair becomes embedded in the wax as it cools and hardens. The wax is then pulled off uickly in the opposite direction of the hair growth, taking the uprooted hair with it. Within hot waxing there are two subcategories: hard and soft wax.
- Hard Waxing – Is thicker than soft wax and is applied with a waxing spatula. Muslin strips are not applied atop of hard wax; instead, hard wax is allowed to harden and is manually removed without the use of a strip. It is our professional opinion that hard wax is best used on sensitive areas such as eyebrows, chins, upper lip, and the bikini area – with the exception of a Brazilian. Hard wax is preferred for these areas because it attaches to only to the hair, and not the skin, thus reducing discomfort and minimizing the possibility of irritation.
- Soft Waxing – Soft wax is what comes to mind when most people think of body waxing. Soft wax is applied with a waxing spatula before being removed using a muslin strip. This wax is best suited for larger areas of hair such as arms, legs, chest, and back. Soft wax is also the best method for a full Brazilian bikini wax. With a Brazilian wax, all of the hair is removed, from the labia to the rear. This area is extra sensitive to waxing because the hair is extra coarse and it grows in different directions. For this reason, soft wax is actually more effective than hard wax and less painful for clients.
- Cold Waxes – similarly to soft waxes, the difference being that the strips are precoated with wax. These pretreated strips are pressed on the skin in the direction of the hair growth and pulled off in the opposite direction. The strips come in different sizes for use on the eyebrows, upper lip, chin, and bikini area.
Although hot waxing techniques are a bit messier than cold waxes, many people find that the hot wax gives better results.
Post Waxing Skin Treatment
You can apply a non-perfumed moisturizer to the treated area if you want to. Moisturizers that are fortified with Vitamin B and/or Aloe Vera are a good choice. You should avoid the following activities for at least 24 hours after waxing:
- Using a Spa or Hot Tub
- Applying perfume, aftershave, or deodorant to the treated area
Wax treatments will not be applied over sunburned skin or peeling skin, lesions or infections, moles, warts, skin abrasions, rashes, or varicose veins.
Available Waxing Services:
- Lip or Chin Waxing – Wax away any unwanted fuzz from the lip or chin in less time than tweezing. $12 (each service)
- Eyebrow Waxing – Eyebrow waxing combines the benefit of longer lasting results with custom sculpted brows. Get the perfect arch with a quick and single session. $20
- Leg Waxing – Leg waxing is one of our most popular types of wax services. This is because waxing lasts for weeks and shaving only lasts for a few days. During waxing, the entire hair shaft is eliminated in the removal process. This removal reduces the regrowth rate and over time reduces and thins the hair. $40 half / $60 full
- Arm Waxing – Waxing arms is common service for both light and dark-haired people. Waxing the arms instead of shaving them provides weeks of smoothness. Many men and women alike choose this services for their underarms as well. $30 half / $45 full
- Underarm Waxing – Waxing the underarms, instead of shaving helps eliminate razor burn, bumps and odor and the best benefit is you won’t have any daily upkeep. Underarm waxing can last up to eight (8) weeks! $25
- Bikini Waxing – The removal of pubic hair using a special wax, which can be hot or cold, which adheres to hairs and pulls them out when the wax is removed quickly from the skin. Unlike shaving, bikini waxing does not cause red bumps (razor burn), reduces ingrown hairs, and lasts for weeks. $40
- French Waxing/ French Bikini Wax – The French Wax eliminates all hair at the side of your bikini area, leaving only a strip of hair down the center, as big or small as you would like. The French bikini wax is often called the Partial Brazilian. $50
- Brazilian Waxing/ Brazilian Bikini Wax – A Brazilian wax is different from a bikini or a French wax, which only removes the hair from the sides around your bikini line. A Brazilian wax removes all of the hair from the labia to the rear. $65
- Back or Chest Waxing – Back and chest waxing is a cosmetic procedure that uses body wax to remove unwanted hair from the upper body. $65 (each service)
- Jawline Waxing – Waxing of the jawline is a simple waxing procedure that uses wax to remove unwanted hair from along the jawline. Skip shaving and maintain a clean, well-trimmed look for several weeks! $20
- Nose Waxing – Waxing of the nose helps to remove unwanted hairs from on and around the nose. $20